Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Metz

Ah, I finally have huge chunks of time to myself again. I'll try to continue where I left off...5 months ago.

14.10.16
I'm getting used to cutting my own hair. It was much easier to ask my sister to cut my hair. I don't like accidentally cutting too much :/. I tried playing Overwatch on my laptop, but it's not a pleasant experience. Also, I lag on US servers.

There's a kebab place next to my bus stop.

It's never too busy here.

I ordered a Yufka and a Turkish Pizza. They're very similar.

Yufka

Pizza.
Greek yogurt
Relatively inexpensive for dried figs from what I've seen here. Really tasty.

Bread from the Palestinian super.


Luise took me to Metz via rideshare. They were talking in French, and I didn't understand anything, so I dozed off. We got there in a little under an hour. We went to her friend's party and it was really cool. People were really friendly. I don't know the proper party etiquette here. Metz is a beautiful town.


Beautiful stained glass
What a beautiful view!
This bakery was literally right around the corner, not even 20 steps away.

It's early in the morning, but they've already sold out of stuff!
Baguettes are ONLY 1€! They cost at least 2,40€ where I live.

Eclairs are the real deal in France. I really like French sweet breads.
Crispy on the outside, flaky on the inside. Baguettes are great multi-purpose breads.

The sweetness of the filling and the raisins combined with the soft bread was pretty good.
This was a great croissant.

These are so nice to look at.
Seeing landmarks like this from wherever you are in the city is incredible. Great for directionally-challenged people like me to get my bearing.




Park next to the university campus. There's a river that surrounds the school, which is on an island, Ilse de Sulcy.




Stairs are great for perspective.

A small dam.

It's not too late to become a baker :3



I just wanted a picture. It probably tastes exactly how it looks.
French comic book store made me really want to learn French, so I could enjoy their cartoons. Language opens up new worlds, and this one was closed off to me.
This is a really cool U-shaped marketplace.
There's a variety of shops with great, fresh stuff!
It's not every day that you see fruit you haven't seen or eaten before. Luise and I were trying to figure out what this was for. A passerby told us you could cook it or something? I forgot, but we decided against trying it.
I bought the expensive grapes here, thinking they would be worth the price. They really, really were. Very sweet and succulent. The girl working the stand had a really cute hairstyle. She had a bun, but she also braided her bangs back and connected it to her bun. I thought it was adorable. The more I looked at her, the more I noticed that she was really cute. I waited for my chance and asked her,
"Excuse me! Hi! I really like your hairstyle."
"Oh! Thank you!"
"Can I take a picture?"
"Sure!"
She asked me how to pose, and I told her to face this way and bow a little. I snapped it and thanked her. I walked away and immediately regretted not asking her out right there. The small voice in my head told me it would never work, but the 1% chance that it might be the start of a beautiful relationship let me dream.

I wanted to eat some regional specialties, but this wasn't very special to me.
I wanted to eat raclette, but nobody else was in the mood. Apparently it's a 2-person thing. Next time.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE GROUND! There were some French city workers cleaning it up, but they were just standing around smoking.

These kind of monumental buildings are much more awesome in person. You can't really appreciate the scale from a picture.
BUTT

There's a thing about dragons here.
Impractical, but pretty!






This place is free and cool (maybe only free with student ID, not sure)!
Do you conform to the pictures or the words?

These ladders are cool, but don't look very stable.

I really appreciated the explanations in English.
We drew our own maps and added it to the book :3

Unicorn
Fresh fruit is worth traveling for.

We almost missed our bus home. Luise's friends lent us their bikes, and we sped on to the bus stop. It was great to be on a bike again. I need to buy one here.

Not only are there at least 5 sex shops in this town, but even warehouse discounts! I still haven't visited any of these...or see myself needing to. But hey, I'll check it out one day.
These are not my jam, do not recommend, even if the package says that people love it so.
Ich bin ein balla. I like cola-flavored things, but these are like pure sugar. You only really want to eat one and then...throw the thing away.
Fruit juice gummy bears. Not too big of a difference.
Delicious!

Luise is a big fan of these alphabet cookies from Ikea.
Me literally holding these L's

The greeting of kisses on the air on the sides of the cheeks is very warm and friendly. Hugs are apparently not so intimate. You only go kisses for your close friends, though, not like coworkers. Some people actually kiss you on the cheek? I don't know. It is nice, though.

1 comment: