Saturday, September 10, 2016

Erster Schultag (First day of school)

7.9.16
I google translated that. Eine tag auf schule. That's the actual way I would've said it (A day of school).

I woke up early, prepared, and went to school. I needed to stop by the bookstore to buy a notebook. It cost me a pretty penny (3.40 euros!), but that'll also encourage me to use the notebook more. Plus, the paper quality is nice. Yes, you also buy notebooks at Netto for under 1 euro.

This campus is quickly growing on me.
Schedule for the month. I eat a snack during 1st pause and eat at Mensa at 2nd pause.
The tutors host something fun every day to give us a life here. Some you need to register for, the others you just show up.
First meal at Mensa. I filled up my card. I'm inclined to always get the 'A' combo meal. It seems like the most "complete" meal. Each meal is 2.85 euros, and the amount of food they give you is good. Today was schnitzel, breaded pork cutlet. This schnitzel isn't as crispy as, say, tonkatsu, but there was a good amount of schweinefleisch (pork). The pomme frites (chips) unfortunately were quite hard. They were hard to eat. I really wanted to enjoy fries, too. I believe they can do better. The soup was like a...minestrone. It was nice and hot. The salad is plain, but they give you dressing. The lettuce isn't too bad. The pudding was actually a bit disappointing. It wasn't very firm. When I eat pudding, I prefer a flan-like texture- super thick. This one felt like you could almost drink it straight from the cup. I don't regret trying it, but next time I'll just take a double serving of vegetables. You can replace some of the menu items like that, which is great!
The longest captions I'll write are probably for food. I'm a little particular about it. I'm not a pro, my nose doesn't work well, I can't cook anything fancy, but I know what I like and I know what I don't like.


No entering the ice. 
Pond system - please don't pollute

I checked out the gym here. At this gym you need to take an introductory course before you can sign up. The weightlifting section seemed pretty small, so I don't know if I'll sign up, but good to know my options.

The hosts put on volleyball today. I wasn't in the clothes for it, but I headed over to check it out anyway. People were playing. I played some basketball and soccer instead. It was pretty hot out, and I was a fool to wear jeans. In these last days of summer, it easily hits 86F/30C here, no humidity. It's nice if you're dressed comfortably in the shade.

As for how school went, all the teachers talk only in German. If you prod them to speak in English, they will, but they explicitly only talk in German, even in the beginner's course. Trying to keep up was incredibly taxing. I was so tired I fell asleep at 9 pm. It's important that they do it, because we need to be immersed in the language. I do enjoy the class. The teachers are patient with me, speak slowly, and correct me when I'm wrong. It's just weird for me, because I need to learn the grammar rules before I can put phrases together. I'm creating grammar rules of my own instead. My only saving grace is that some German words are similar in English. The few words I studied I apply and help. I need to study a lot. I feel excited at the thought of being able to fully express myself in German.

No comments:

Post a Comment