Friday, September 16, 2016

Shall we dance?

Pinodyne [피노다인] – Shall We Dance? (feat. Crush)

I accidentally on purpose watched "Shall We Dance?" again. The Japanese one. Beautiful movie. I'd put it in my top 10. Watching it made me want to dance, even take dance lessons.

Dancing is really romantic to me. My friend doesn't find dancing romantic. I feel the need to find out why. Maybe it would help if I explained my perspective.

"Dance" is a loose term. Everyone probably has a different definition of it. Think about yours, and I'll tell you mine.

Dancing is a celebration of life. "Would you like to dance?" becomes "Would you like to celebrate life with me?" Dancing is an appreciation of being alive. "I really liked your dancing" means "I really liked your display of affection for the world." Dancing is giving thanks with your body. When something good happens, you want to share it with everyone you know. The first thing you do is tell everyone you know! And how better to show your overflowing happiness with your literal actions!

Dancing is a natural, physical manifestation of you feeling good. Not everyone is a natural dancer, but I believe that everyone has a way they celebrate. You pump your fist and yell, "Yes!" when something you hoped for happens. You smile when you see something that pleases you. When you hear a song you like, you nod your head and tap your feet.

Pay no mind when people say things like "that's not dancing!" How people dance is up to the dancer, and nobody has to prove anything to anyone. Dancing is truly free expression, and anyone telling you otherwise needs to take their blinders off.

Nobody is a stranger to dance. You see people dancing all the time. You've probably been prompted to dance at at least one point in your life. Personally, dancing isn't something I do on command. I need to feel like dancing in order to dance; I can't dance simply for the sake of dancing.

That's why it's special when you find someone you want to dance with. You want to get to know someone on a physical level. That's pretty personal. Moreover, it's not easy to fake. You can only put on a physical facade for so long before your body gives itself away.

When you get to know a girl, you do it step by step. Same thing when dancing. You like her style. The way that she moves her hips. Her smile when she hears a song she likes. You're aware of her and she is acutely aware of you. You present your real self or shyly hide it.

Dancing is also something other people enjoy watching. When you dance with someone, you want them to enjoy your dance and they yours. You want them to celebrate with you. You open up slowly, using your body to ask if they trust you. The way she reacts says a lot about how she feels about you. She'll relax and groove with you or seize up like a deer in your headlights.

It's hard for me to imagine how dancing with a girl (or whatever gender you prefer) isn't romantic. Picture the last dance of the night, a slow dance. You make eye contact with that girl you like and make your way over. You offer your hand and she takes it in her own. She comes in close and you firmly hold her against you. You smell her perfume. She looks up at you and you down at her. You share a smile. This moment is ours, just the two of us. And isn't it nice? She leans her head on your chest. You lead her as you step lightly side-to-side. The song ends, but you don't let go. Somehow it's turned from a dance to an embrace. You sigh, happily. As you walk her out, you put your arm on her shoulder and she holds you at the waist. Maybe this is the start of a beautiful relationship. Maybe this is The One. Maybe I've waited my whole life for this. Am I sweeping her off my feet or has she swept mine? How exciting!

For the friend reading this, surely you can find a dance scenario that you find romantic, even if it's just in your dreams. I hope you can understand what I find beautiful, because I want you to enjoy life more, not less.

No comments:

Post a Comment