Saturday, September 10, 2016

Freitag (Friday)

9.9.16
Woke up this morning to water spilling from the exposed part of my fridge. I had turned on some "supercool" feature inside the fridge, and now water was leaking. You can't see any of it here, but it's there. Sigh. I turned it off and wiped up the mess.
Alright, another one you can't go wrong with is goat's milk with herbs. This one was really tasty. I liked it a lot.
I was shocked to see the way things are quoted in German. Actually, I'm still shocked. ._.
At our first break, I joined Anna and Greg to get some coffee at one of the school's cafes.

Anna had all this stuff in her bag. Well, not the mugs. We bought the kaffee there. The waiter overcharged me 50 cents for mine. It's my fault for not checking my change.
Anna made these small pancake things? Also had a little cheese in it? Add some sour cream and her homemade marmalade, and you have a really tasty snack. I enjoyed it. Of course the pancake would be better fresh and warm, but it was still a good flavor profile. The pancake was slightly savory, with enough bread to soak up the toppings. The marmalade was sweet, and the sour cream cool. Anna gave me two. Danke schoen!~
Here we are posing with our coffee. Hahaha! I like it. I burned myself because the kaffee was heiss (hot).
Fisch today! The fish was nice and meaty. The rice was flavored well, and the suppe was nice and hot. It was actually really savory for a tomatensuppe. I got 2 servings of salat instead of dessert. I think I prefer this. Easier to eat my gemuese (vegetables).
I'm meeting Nuria, the girl who helped me, at 16:00 at the fountain, so I arrived a bit early and walked around.

The stained glass is beautiful!
Fantastisch gardening.
There's a small fountain yonder that kids play in. Gut atmosphaere.
In an underground shopping area, this small stand sells zimtwaffeln (cinnamon waffles). Apparently, people around here like it.
I thought "zimtwaffeln" was the waffle, but not, it's the small cookies on the left. I was standing there looking at his shop for a long time. There weren't any customers, really. He called Nuria over and gave her a free pack of zimtwaffeln. We were surprised! It wasn't like a small sample, but a large amount.
I saw the waffle, and this was a waffle place, so I was definitely going to get a waffle. Plus, he was nice enough to give us free snacks already. You can add cherries or cream.
There are no toppings. I thought it would be plain. Man, was I wrong. This is probably the best waffle I've ever had. It's not a crispy waffle- it's a soft, almost doughy waffle. It has a very pleasant taste that's easy on the palate. Truly, adding toppings would take away from the texture and the taste. Because it's a waffle, it's pretty filling. I'm glad to have tried this.
Here's the zimtwaffeln. These are also packed full of flavor. The texture of the cookie is crispy enough to have a satisfying "crack!" sound when you bite into it, but thick enough to fill your mouth and last. I recommend it!
Nuria showed me a totally hipster place. This is in the artsy area. In the back, there's a movie theater where they have screenings for documentaries and stuff.
This overhang is beautiful.
We spent half an hour just reading the menu. Well, more like me reading the menu and asking about it. "Pasta pasta"? What, is it like doubly pasta? What makes it more pasta-y than normal pasta? That's some real artistic license right there. 
I decided on a risotto. It sounded decent enough, and, after the waffle, I didn't want anything too filling. This is important for later on, but I would learn later.
I haven't tried the franziskaner weissbier hefetrueb, so I ordered it.
Okay, I don't want to come off as a cheap guy, even though I am, but it's a matter of not being crazy. There is a line that is marked 0,5 liters. The beer, after the head died down, was not even close to the line. I wasn't going to be that guy and call the waiter back and complain, especially because I'm a foreigner here. It's just, at the end of the day, as a matter of principle, I didn't get all that I paid for. No, it didn't affect the taste of the beer. The beer was okay; I probably wouldn't order it again.
The risotto was also okay. I like tomatoes, green onions, cheese, rice, and spices. It's good. But personally I would want a lot of garlic in it. And more sun-dried tomatoes. And I prefer a lemon risotto. The cheese was alright, might prefer it cooked into the risotto instead of separately. It was actually more filling than it looks. Reis (der. Rice), after all.
Nuria ordered a salate and mein gott what a salad. Dressing was sesame.
We enjoyed some conversation and then it was time to meet up for Tutorenjagd (tutor hunt). It's a scavenger hunt to find our tutors, who were hiding in bars all around Saabruecken. Okay, I thought it was going to be easy, but geez it was a hard one. Andre was the energy behind our team, and we were all running with him. He was set on winning, and we were set on not letting him down. We tried our best and won! We came in first! It's a crazy way to get to know the city, but it was fun.

Ayy lmao
I'm a sucker for pretty lights. If I was a bug, I'd be one of those that fly into a hot light and die.
You can hardly see anything, but it's a nice bar by the name of Bar Celona. I enjoyed that. It's foggy because we were running from bar to bar all over the place.
At every bar we had to order a drink and 2 people in our group didn't drink. Our group was Andre, Bria, Hiroko, Greg, Anna, and me. Bria and Hiroko didn't drink. I asked for shots instead of beer, because I was so full of beer after the first 3 bars.


We got some candy for being in first place. Everyone met up for some drinks at the last place, Iguana. It was close to the club we were supposed to go to after, called Garage. It was around 22:50, so we needed to leave quickly and get into Garage. No cover before 23:00, see.

Nobody on the dance floor, but apparently that's normal until like 1:00 when everyone is drunk enough to dance. Greg really wasn't feeling this place.
Unfortunately, our Japanese friends got carded and weren't carrying ID. We left and looked for karaoke. There isn't any in Saarbruecken, at least not in Johanneskirche. We settled on a bar, the Tante Maja.

Greg, Mie, Me, Ayuka, Hiroko
We had a drink, shot the shit, and went home. The buses still run late, but a taxi might've been cheaper if we split, so we took a taxi instead. It was about 2.5 euros per person, and we were all living in the same area. Not bad. If you need to find a taxi, find some bars. They wait to drive people home.

I went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment